1. That is the reason why I’m not in favour of revising the plan.
2. His failure was due to the fact that he had not practised for a long time.
3. It is likely that it will rain in the evening.
4. How they went to America is what I want to know.
5. It occurred to him that he had left his key at home.
6. The reason why he came late was that he didn’t catch the early bus.
7. I’m looking forward to the day when
Tai Wan returns to China.
8. He sat by the fire, reading a novel.
9. My dream came true at last.
10. It will not be long before we meet again.
11. The English play in which my students acted at the New Year’s party was a great success.
12. I worked in a business where almost everyone is waiting for a great chance.
13. He kept looking at her, wondering whether he had seen her somewhere.
14. It is a great honor for Beijing that the 2008 Olympic Games will be held in Beijing.
15. Timmy was fined a large sum of money by the judge for drunken driving.
16. Although he thought he was helping us with the work, he was actually in the way.
17. Most hotels have websites where you can find answers to your questions.
18. That most of languages are now threatened and may disappear is a serious matter to the people.
19. The fact that Great Britain is made up of three countries is still unknown to many people.
20. Now that you’ve got a chance, you might as well make full use of it.
21. It was only when I reread his poems recently that I begin to appreciate their beauty.
22. As is reported in the newspapers, talks between the two countries are making progress.
23. They came to the conclusion that not all things can be done by a computer.
24. Smoking does great harm to our health.
25. Only then did he realize his mistakes.
26. Come and see me whenever you are convenient .
27. I thought Jim would say something about his school report , but he didn’t mention it .
28. By the end of last year , another new gymnasium had been completed in Beijing.
29. when and where to go for the on—salary holiday has not been decided.
30. I wonder why Jenny hasn’t written us recently. We should have heard from her by now.
31. He will have learned English for eight years by the time he graduates from the university next year.
32. I feel it is your husband who is to blame for the spoiled child .
33. Rainforests are being cut and burned at such a speed that they will disappear from the earth in the near future .
34. It will not be long before we know the result of the experiment .
35. Selecting a mobile phone for personal use is no easy task because technology is changing so rapidly.
36. In such dry weather , the flowers will have to be watered if they are to survive .
37. Hundreds of jobs will be lost if the factory closes .
38. A new cinema is being built here .They hope to finish it next month .
39. The reporter said that the UFO was traveling east to west when he saw it .
40. All the preparations for the task have been completed , and we are really to start.
41. Try some of the juice——perhaps you will like it .
42. The price has gone down , but I doubt whether it will remain so .
43. No sooner had he got to the lab than he set out to do the experiment.
44. Helen had left her key in the office, so she had to wait until her husband came back home .
45. An awful accident did , however , occur the other day .
46. In some western countries , demand for graduates from MBA courses has fallen down .
47. The evening news comes on at seven o’clock and lasts only thirty minutes.
48. It was not a serious illness , and she soon got over it.
49. The final examination is coming up soon. It is time for us to get down to our studies.
50. John was late for the business meeting because his flight had been delayed by a heavy storm.
51. The Internet has brought about big changes in the way we work .
52. Lose one hour in the morning and you will be looking for it in the rest of the day .
53. I am sure that Laura’s latest play , once staged, will prove a great success.
54. I don’t mind picking up your things from the store. Besides, the walk will do me good .
55. People may have different opinions about Mary, but I admire her. After all, she is a great musician.
56. I want to know whether the thief was caught on the spot.
57. Our club is open to adults only. It seems that your children have entered without permission.
58. You are saying that everyone should be equal, and this is where I disagree.
59. A modern city has been set up in what was a wasteland ten years ago.
60. I think father would like to know what I’ve been up to so far, so I decide to write him a letter.
61. Parents are taught to understand how important education is to their children’s future.
62. The other day, my brother drove his car down the street at what I thought was a dangerous speed.
63. Along with the letter was his promise that he would visit me this coming Christmas.
64. There is a new problem involved in the popularity of private cars that road conditions need to be improved.
65. What made the school proud was that more than 90% of the students had been admitted to key universities.
66. Perseverance is a kind of quality and that’s what it takes to do anything well.
67. That fashion differs from country to country may reflect the cultural differences from one aspect.
68. What she couldn’t understand was why fewer and fewer students showed interest in her lessons.
69. It was a matter of who would take the position.
70. Whether we’ll go camping tomorrow depends on the weather.
71. Do you still remember the farm (that) we visited three months ago?
72. The journey around the world took the old sailor nine months, during which the sailing time was 226 days.
73. There were dirty marks on her trousers where she had wiped her hands.
74. There are altogether eleven books on the shelf, of which five are mine.
75. Helen was much kinder to her youngest son than to the others, which, of course, made the others envy him.
76. As is often the case, we have worked out the production plan.
77. There was a time when I hated to go to school.
78. There are two buildings, the larger of which stands nearly a hundred feet high.
79. What surprised me was not what he said but the way he said it.
80. A fast food restaurant is the place where, just as the name suggests, eating is performed quickly.
81. Don’t leave the water running while you brush your teeth.
82. The flu is believed to be caused by viruses that like to reproduce in the cells inside the human nose and throat.
83. Having been attacked by terrorists, the tall building collapsed.
84. Attracted by the beauty of nature, the girl from London decided to spend another two days on the farm.
85. The man insisted on finding a taxi for me even though I told him I lived nearby.
86. Stand over there and you will be able to see it better.
87. The accident is reported to have occurred on the first day in February.
88. Why! I have nothing to confess. What is it that you want to say?
89. There are many kinds of sports, but my favorite is swimming.
90. He got to the station early for fear of missing his train.
91. My English-Chinese dictionary has disappeared. Who could have taken it?
92. It has been announced that candidates shall remain in their seats until all the papers have been collected.
93. Oh, I am not feeling well in the stomach. I should not have eaten so much fried chicken just now.
94. I was really anxious about you. You should not have left home without a word.
我真的很担心你。你本不该一句话不说就离开家�... 暂无 暂无 暂无 展开
Unit 1 Friendship
1. be good to 对……友好 be good for 对……有益;be bad to…/be bad for…
2. add up 加起来 增加
add up to 合计，总计
add… to 把……加到……
3. not…until/till 意思是“直到…才”
4. get sth/sb done 使……完成/使某人被……
5. calm down平静下来
6. be concerned about 关心 关注
7. 当while, when, before, after 等引导的时间状语从句中的主语与主句的主语一致时，可将从句中的主语和be动词省去。
While walking the dog, you were careless and it got loose.
8. cheat in the exam 考试作弊
9. go through 经历;度过;获准，通过
10. hide away 躲藏;隐藏
11. set down 写下，记下
12. I wonder if….. 我不知道是不是….
12. on purpose 故意
13. sth happen to sb 某人发生某事
sb happen to do sth 某人碰巧做某事
it so happened that ……正巧 碰巧
14. It is the first (second…) that… (从句谓语动词用现在完成时)
15. in one’s power 处于……的控制之中
16. It’s no pleasure doing…. 做…..没有乐趣
It’s no good/ use doing sth. 做某事是没好处/没用的
17. She found it difficult to settle and calm down in the hiding place. it做形式宾语
18. suffer from 患…病;遭受
19. so…that… /such…thay…
20. get tired of…. 对…感到劳累 疲惫
21. have some trouble with sb/sth. 在……上遇到了麻烦
22. get along with sb/sth. 与某人相处
23. ask(sb)for advice. (向某人)征求建议
24. make 后接复合宾语，宾语补足语须用不带to 的不定式、形容词、过去分词、名词等。常见的有以下几种形式:
make sb. do sth.让 (使)某人做某事
make sb. /sth. +adj. 使某人/物…
make sb./ oneself +v-ed 让某人/自己被…
When you speak, you should make yourself understood.
make sb.+n. 使某人成为…
25. alone /lonely. 单独的/孤独的
26. I would be grateful if… 委婉客气提出请求
27. Why not do….. = why don’t you do…
Unit 2 English around the world
1. because of 因为…… (注意和because 的区别)
2. even if (= even thoug)即使，用来引导让步状语从句
3. come up 走上前来，走近，发生，出现 come up with 追上，赶上，提出
4. communicate with sb 和某人交流
5. be different from… 与……不同
be different in … 在……方面不同
Most of my projects are different in performance.
6. be based on 以……为基础
7. at present 目前，眼下 for the present眼前;暂时
8. make (good/better/full)use of
9. the latter后者 the former 前者
10. a large number of 大量的 the number of …的数量
11. such as 例如
12. hold on 坚持住，握住不放;(打电话时)等—会
13. … you will hear the difference in the way(that/ in which) people speak.
14. play a role/ part (in) 在…中担任角色;在…中起作用;扮演一个角色
15. the same …as… 与……一样
16. at the top of…在…顶上
at the bottom of 在……底部
17. bring up 教养，养育;提出
18. request sb (not) to do sth. 要求某人做/不要做某事
19. be satisfied with…对……感到满意，满足于
20. suggest v. (request，insist…)
I suggested you do what he says. 我建议你按照他说的去做。
I suggest you not go tomorrow. 我想你明天还是不要去了。
His pale face suggested that he was in bad health. 他苍白的脸色暗示了他身体不好。
注意：insist 意思为“坚持要求”时后面的that从句用虚拟语气;如果insist 意为“强调，坚持认为”的时候，从句可以用任何所需要的时态。例如：She insisted that she didn’t tell a lie.她坚持认为她没撒谎。
21. according to…. 按照… 根据…
Unit 3 Travel journal
Prefer doing …to doing…
Prefer to do rather than do
2.advantages /disadvantages 优势/劣势
2.Ever since middle school, my sister Wang Wei and I have dreamed about taking a great bike trip. 从高中起，我姐姐王维和我就一直梦想做一次伟大的自行车旅行。
连词since 引导的时间状语从句用一般过去时，介词since 与时间点连用
It is/has been+一段时间+since+一般过去时 自从……至今已经多久了。
3. persuade sb to do sth= persuade sb into doing sth 说服某人做某事
4. 强调句型 It is/was+被强调部分+that/who
not … until 的强调句
5.be fond of 喜欢，喜爱
6. Although 尽管，虽然，引导让步状语从句
① although 从句多在句首， though 从句可在主句前、中、后任何位置，而且though 可以作副词用于句末，作“但是，不过”讲，而although 无此用法。
② as though(仿佛，好像)，even though(即使，尽管)中不能用although。
③ though 引导的让步状语从句可以倒装(将表语、状语、情态动词后的动词原形前置到句首，此用法同as),而 although 不可以。
7. insist on doing sth/ sth. 一定要、坚持主张
She insists on getting up early and playing her radio loudly.
11.care about 关心 在乎
care for 喜欢，照料，照顾
12.change one’s mind 改变主意
13. experience 经历/经验
14. Once 可作为从属连词，作“一(旦)……就……”解，连接一个表示时间的状语从句。从句中常用一般现在时现在完成时表将来。
Once you have begun you must continue.
15. give in 让步 give up 放弃
16. instead of 代替，而不是
17. make up one’s mind to do下定决心做某事
18.a large parcel of 一大包
19.as usual 像往常一样
20.put up our tent 搭帐篷
21.stay awake 睡不着，醒着 stay up 熬夜
22. for company 做伴
23.lie beneath the stars 躺在星空下
24.can hardly wait to do=can’t wait to do迫不及待做某事
25.go in the right direction 走正确的方向
26. at a very slow pace. 以很慢的速度
27.be similar to 类似于
28.afford to do sth 付得起，能承担
29.be tired from 因……而疲劳 be tired of 对……厌倦
30. be in high spirits 喜气洋洋，兴高采烈
31e true 实现，成真
32. give sb some advice on doing...
33. a guide to… ……的指南
34.on a tour 在游览中，在巡演中
35.in detail 详细地
Unit 4 Earthquakes
1. right away毫不迟疑，立刻
2. It seemed as if the world was at an end. 世界似乎到了末日。
① It seems/looks/appears as if/though…看起来好像…
② Sb./Sth. looks as if/though…
③ There seems/appears(to be)…
There appears to have been a mistake.
2. in ruins. 变为废墟
4. Workers built shelters for survivors whose homes had been destroyed.
5. under the weight of 在……重压下，迫于
6. in the open air 在户外，在野外，露天
7. take turns to do sth依次，轮流做某事
in turn 依次地，轮流地
8. be shocked at 对……感到震惊
9. be proud of 以……为自豪
10. express one’s thanks to sb /for sth… 对/因……表示感谢
11. without warning 毫无预兆
12. next to紧接着，相邻，次于
13. get away from… 避免，摆脱，离开
14. disaster-hit areas灾区
15. Listening to English is a very important skill because it is only when we understand what is said to us that we can have a conversation with somebody.
16. It is believed that 人们认为…
17. hold up 举起;托住;支撑列举，推举
18. make up 弥补, 虚构, 整理, 和解,化妆,拼凑
19. be trapped in 被困于…
20. It is said that… 据说...
21. be fixed to…被固定到……
22. be tied to … 被绑在……
Unit 5 Nelson Mandela—a modern hero
1. devotes… to doing奉于
2. fight against 对抗，反对，与……作斗争
3. selflessly 无私地
4. be free from 免于，不受
5. be in prison 入狱，在狱中服刑
6. the first man to do 第一个…的人
7. The time when I first met him was a very difficult period of my life.
8. He was generous with his time, for which I was grateful.
9. become out of work. 失业
10. hope that…/to do
11. as soon as I could 尽快， 马上
12. We were put into a position in which we had either to accept we were less important, or fight the government.
13. Only 位于句首，修饰状语从句时，主句采用部分倒装的语序。
Only in this way can you come up with a solution to the problem.
14. as a matter of fact 事实上
15. blow up 爆炸,打气
16. be equal to 和…平等
17. in trouble 处于困境 遇到麻烦
18. be willing to do sth. 愿意，乐于
19. turn to 变成;求助于，借助于, 翻到，转向
turn to sb for help 向某人求助
20. lose heart 灰心;泄气, 丧失勇气,失去信心
21. escape from 逃脱，逃离，从……逃出
22. should have done 本应做而未做
needn’t have done 本不需要做而做了
can’t have done 过去不可能做过(对过去的否定推测)
must have done 对过去的肯定推测
23. pass the exam. 通过考试
24. be better educated 受到良好教育
25. come to power 执政
26. be proud to do sth. be proud of sth 为…而自豪
27. set up 创立，建立，架起，建造
The company was set up ten years ago. 公司是十年前建立的。
28. be sentenced to … 被判处……
29. Do you have any thoughts on that 你认为那怎么样?
30. to my understanding 按我的理解 to my opinion
31. be accepted by … 被……录取、接受
32. die from 死于…(事故等外部原因) die of 死于… (疾病等自身原因)
33. under way 正在进行
34. point of view 观点
35. compete with… 与……竞争
36. advise v.
advise + n./pron. advise + doing advise sb. to do sth.
advise + that从句(从句的谓语用“should + v原”， should 常省略)
如：We forbid smoking here.
We forbid you to smoke here.